Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy Birthday to T

So, July is a very special month in the Palmer household. It is the month where we celebrate that my darling wife is now yet another year older. I hear it is inappropriate to mention a lady's age, so I will just say that she used to be 32. To celebrate this passing of age, we had a quiet night at home, with T's favourite meal, Fettuccine Alfredo.

Later in the month however we had a right shindig with friends. Well, we had friends over for dinner, a game, and a birthday cake. It was my first attempt at making a birthday cake, and only my second ever attempt at a cake, so I was keen to document each step. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph a few of the steps, so will have to just show you a few of them.

The cake was a simple sponge cake, with milk chocolate mousse filling, and a cream cheese icing on the outside, not exactly what I would choose, but it was not my cake.

First off I made the sponge cakes (a logical place to start I'm sure you will agree). Once they had cooled I sliced them through the middle so there were 4 layers of cake.
Next step was to mix up the chocolate mousse. While that chilled a bit in the fridge I made the simple cinnamon syrup. This was just sugar, water and cinnamon sticks. The syrup was supposed to help the cake maintain a certain moistness.Once the syrup was chilled too I started the assembly phase. Each layer of the cake was brushed with the syrup before being liberally covered in the chocolate mousse. Then it was back in to the fridge to allow the mousse to set up a bit.

The next day was icing day. The chocolate mousse had set quite nicely, so the cake was able to stand quite stably. The original plan was to make a cake in the shape of Dug the dog from the animated movie Up. However I decided that a cake in the shape of an animated dog was hardly appropriate for someone of T's age, so I went for a simply iced cake with raspberries on top.

The cake was a bit on the sweet side, but tasted alright. Rudy seemed to enjoy it well enough, he managed to polish off a rather sizable slice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That doesn't surprise me about Rudy :)

Unknown said...

mmmm yum!!!! It sounds good to me - how can anything be too sweet?
Glad you had a good birthday Tiffany!